Luke 10:17-20 is the main text for this sermon. You can also check out our youtube livestream of this service and listen to the sermon (better audio) on there.
3-22-20 Connect Group Discussion Guide
The Gospels and Spiritual Warfare
Gospel Reading Plan Discussion
1. It’s been a while since we last met. Hopefully, you are still tracking with our reading plan. How is it going for you? Are you caught up? Behind? Way behind?
2. If you are continuing to read, what has it been like for you? How is God speaking to you? What are you learning? Has it been a good challenge for you?
3. This week’s reading schedule – Matthew Ch. 17 – Ch. 23 (Sun. – Sat.)
Spiritual Warfare Discussion
4. When you hear “spiritual warfare”, what do you think of? How would you describe it?
5. A recurring theme in the gospels = demon possession. What is demon possession?
6. Why do you think we see so much demon possession in the Gospels, yet that is not something we talk about very often or see very much of today?
Today’s Theme Passage
7. Today’s theme passage: Luke 10:17-20
8. V. 18 – What do you think this vision was that Jesus saw? Did it literally happen, or was Jesus just describing this victory the was taking place? (See Isaiah 14:12-16 and Ezekiel 28:17 for similar language).
9. V. 19 – What does it mean to have authority to trample on snakes and scorpions? (See Psalm 91:13 for similar language). If this is authority to trample on the work of Satan in Luke 10, do we still have that authority today? If so, what does that mean?
10. V. 20 – What does Jesus mean by your names are written in heaven?
Spiritual Warfare Awareness
11. Read Ephesians 6:10-12 – According to Paul, what is our “struggle” against?
12. How can we be more aware of the spiritual warfare that is going on in our lives, without making ourselves paranoid?
13. Have you ever felt like you were under a spiritual attack? If so, would you mind sharing or describing what that means?
14. Pray together as a group
Other Scriptures that Apply: Job 1:6-12; Job 2:1-7; Acts 10:38; James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:8; 1 John 3:8; Daniel Ch. 9 & 10